All About Lupus Rashes

By kimberly
Reviewed: dr. vanta
Article Sources Article Sources
  • 1. 'How Lupus Affects the Skin.' Lupus Foundation of America,
  • 2. McDaniel, Brianna. 'Discoid Lupus Erythematosus.' U.S. National Library of Medicine, 15 Aug. 2020,
  • 3. 'Rashes, Skin Care and Cutaneous Lupus: What You Should Know.' Hospital for Special Surgery,
  • 4. 'Types of Cutaneous Lupus.' Patient Care at NYU Langone Health,
  • 5. Achebe, Ikechukwu, et al. 'Dystrophic Calcinosis Cutis in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.' Cureus, 20 June 2020,
  • 6. 'How Lupus Affects the Skin.' Lupus Foundation of America,
  • 7. 'Raynaud's Phenomenon.' Johns Hopkins Medicine,
  • 8. Sajjan, Vijaya Veeranna, et al. 'Livedo Reticularis: A Review of the Literature.' Indian Dermatology Online Journal, Medknow Publications & Media Pvt Ltd, 2015,
  • 9. 'How Lupus Is Diagnosed: An Overview.' Lupus Foundation of America,
Medical Expert Medical Expert

2. Subacute Cutaneous Lupus

Subacute cutaneous lupus rashes typically appear on areas of the skin that are most often exposed to sunshine.3‘Rashes, Skin Care and Cutaneous Lupus: What You Should Know.’ Hospital for Special Surgery, That includes the arms, face and neck. While these lesions don’t normally cause pain or itching, they can result in permanent skin discoloration.

It’s advised that individuals with subacute cutaneous lupus avoid long-term exposure to sunshine or other UV rays as much as possible, and in cases where sunshine exposure is unavoidable, those persons should consider using sunblock with a high SPF rating.

Lupus Rashes

Home | Privacy Policy | Editorial | | About Us

This site offers information designed for entertainment & educational purposes only. With any health related topic discussed on this site you should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, treatment, advice, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, treatment, or diagnosis. If you have any questions or concerns about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.