All About Lupus Rashes

By kimberly
Reviewed: dr. vanta
Article Sources Article Sources
  • 1. 'How Lupus Affects the Skin.' Lupus Foundation of America,
  • 2. McDaniel, Brianna. 'Discoid Lupus Erythematosus.' U.S. National Library of Medicine, 15 Aug. 2020,
  • 3. 'Rashes, Skin Care and Cutaneous Lupus: What You Should Know.' Hospital for Special Surgery,
  • 4. 'Types of Cutaneous Lupus.' Patient Care at NYU Langone Health,
  • 5. Achebe, Ikechukwu, et al. 'Dystrophic Calcinosis Cutis in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.' Cureus, 20 June 2020,
  • 6. 'How Lupus Affects the Skin.' Lupus Foundation of America,
  • 7. 'Raynaud's Phenomenon.' Johns Hopkins Medicine,
  • 8. Sajjan, Vijaya Veeranna, et al. 'Livedo Reticularis: A Review of the Literature.' Indian Dermatology Online Journal, Medknow Publications & Media Pvt Ltd, 2015,
  • 9. 'How Lupus Is Diagnosed: An Overview.' Lupus Foundation of America,
Medical Expert Medical Expert

3. Acute Cutaneous Lupus

Acute cutaneous lupus is most often present in individuals who have been diagnosed with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). It typically presents as a red, flat, and itchy rash across the face that appears in the shape of a butterfly.4‘Types of Cutaneous Lupus.’ Patient Care at NYU Langone Health, Although this facial rash is the most common sign of acute cutaneous lupus, this rash may also appear on other parts of the body.

Just as with subacute cutaneous lupus and discoid lupus, rashes may worsen with exposure to sunlight. This malar, or cheek, rash can appear many months before a lupus diagnosis.

Lupus Rashes

Home | Privacy Policy | Editorial | | About Us

This site offers information designed for entertainment & educational purposes only. With any health related topic discussed on this site you should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, treatment, advice, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, treatment, or diagnosis. If you have any questions or concerns about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.