Lead is a very useful metal. Its soft, malleable nature makes it suitable for lining roofs to keep the rain out of homes and also in pipes to carry water. In fact, it was commonly used as a material to make pipes that transport our drinking water and also in drinking vessels such as tankards. Little did we know at the time that this was quite dangerous.
Lead is toxic and lead poisoning is potentially very dangerous 1. It is not as common now as we have taken steps to prevent dangerous lead exposure. But unfortunately, some people fall ill. Here is a look at some of the symptoms that are caused by lead poisoning.
Symptom #1: Cardiovascular Problems
Lead is heavy. This means it is only reasonable to think that the blood will also become heavier when lead is present, and this is exactly what happens. This can have a serious impact on the patient’s blood pressure and on the flow of blood in general. As a result, cardiovascular problems are one symptom that the patient may have lead poisoning.
The presence of lead in the bloodstream is also likely to cause damage to the heart as it becomes congested with the metal. This damage has the potential to lead to some very serious complications that can pose a very real threat to the patient’s life.