10 Jock Itch Symptoms
- 1. 'Jock Itch.' Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 4 Mar. 2020, www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/jock-itch/symptoms-causes/syc-20353807
- 2. 'Itchy Skin (Pruritus).' Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 6 Jan. 2021, www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/itchy-skin/symptoms-causes/syc-20355006
- 3. 'Rash.' 7 Common Skin Rashes, Causes and Treatment, www.pennmedicine.org/for-patients-and-visitors/patient-information/conditions-treated-a-to-z/rash
- 4. 'Jock Itch (for Teens) - Nemours KidsHealth.' Edited by Elana Pearl Ben-Joseph, KidsHealth, The Nemours Foundation, Mar. 2018, kidshealth.org/en/teens/jock-itch.html
- 5. 'Skin Infections.' MedlinePlus, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 23 Mar. 2021, medlineplus.gov/skininfections.html
- 6. 'Hyperhidrosis.' Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 18 Aug. 2020, www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyperhidrosis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20367173
- 7. 'Losing Weight.' Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 17 Aug. 2020, www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing/weight/index.html
- 8. 'Skin Complications.' Skin Complications | ADA, www.diabetes.org/diabetes/complications/skin-complications
Jock itch is a fungal infection medically known as tinea cruris. The infection causes a red, itchy rash in areas of the body prone to being warm and moist, such as the thighs and groin. The rash sometimes appears ring-like, but may also be scaly or flaky.
Jock itch gets its name because athletes frequently experience the condition. Contrary to popular belief, jock itch doesn't only affect men. Women can be affected, too. However, teenage and young adult males are at the highest risk of getting jock itch.1‘Jock Itch.’ Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 4 Mar. 2020, www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/jock-itch/symptoms-causes/syc-20353807 Besides an itchy rash, there are several other jock itch symptoms to be aware of.
A common symptom of tinea cruris is itching. The itching usually occurs in the groin area, but can also happen in other areas of the body that are prone to being moist and warm. Other common places jock itch may occur include the armpits, thighs, buttocks and under the breasts. People who are overweight may experience itching in stomach folds or similar areas.
Several other conditions can cause itching of the skin. Dry skin, eczema, psoriasis, insect bites and allergic reactions are other common causes. Itchy skin can also signal a potential issue with the kidneys, nervous system or liver.2‘Itchy Skin (Pruritus).’ Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 6 Jan. 2021, www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/itchy-skin/symptoms-causes/syc-20355006