Home Remedies for Ringworm
- 1. Team, Family Health. 'How to Cure Ringworm.' Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic, Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic, 1 Oct. 2020, health.clevelandclinic.org/how-to-cure-ringworm/
- 2. 'How to Treat Ringworm.' MyHealthKC, myhealthkc.com/blog/how-to-treat-ringworm
- 3. 'Treatment & Outcomes of Dermatophytes.' Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 14 Jan. 2021, www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/ringworm/treatment.html
- 4. El-Gohary M;van Zuuren EJ;Fedorowicz Z;Burgess H;Doney L;Stuart B;Moore M;Little P; Topical Antifungal Treatments for Tinea Cruris and Tinea Corporis. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, U.S. National Library of Medicine, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25090020/
- 5. 'Ringworm (for Parents) - Nemours KidsHealth.' Edited by Michelle P. Tellado, KidsHealth, The Nemours Foundation, Sept. 2019, kidshealth.org/en/parents/fungal-ringworm.html
- 6. 'Ringworm.' The Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne, July 2020, www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/fact/sheets/Ringworm/
- 7. Ledezma E;Marcano K;Jorquera A;De Sousa L None;Padilla M;Pulgar M;Apitz-Castro R; ‘Efficacy of Ajoene in the Treatment of Tinea Pedis: a Double-Blind and Comparative Study with Terbinafine.’ Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, U.S. National Library of Medicine, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11050588/
- 8. 'Tinea Infections (Ringworm).' Johns Hopkins Medicine, www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/tinea-infections-ringworm
Ringworm is the name for a fungal infection known medically as tinea that causes raised, scaly, circular spots on the skin that are shaped like a ring. However, there are no worms involved. There are several symptoms that can manifest, and the presence of the spots themselves, along with itchiness, pain and swelling, is usually cause for people to seek treatment.
There are a variety of methods available to manage ringworm, with many home remedies existing that claim to soothe the symptoms. However, not all home remedies will actually help with the condition, so it is best to seek medical advice.1Team, Family Health. ‘How to Cure Ringworm.’ Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic, Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic, 1 Oct. 2020, health.clevelandclinic.org/how-to-cure-ringworm/
Ringworm can sometimes be hard to distinguish from other skin conditions, as many conditions cause raised scabs and dry skin that can resemble ringworm. What characterizes the condition are the red ring-shaped patches of raised skin that feature rough, uneven borders. Ringworm can occur anywhere on the body, including the feet, scalp and groin.
Since ringworm can usually be cleared up with over-the-counter medications that don't require a prescription, many people can check with a pharmacist before buying the medication. However, ringworm can sometimes resist treatment and require stronger medications, so any tough case warrants a doctor's visit.2‘How to Treat Ringworm.’ MyHealthKC, myhealthkc.com/blog/how-to-treat-ringworm