Thyroiditis Symptoms, Causes and More
- 1. NHS Choices, NHS, www.nhs.uk/conditions/thyroiditis/.
- 2. 'Thyroiditis.' American Thyroid Association, www.thyroid.org/thyroiditis/.
- 3. 'Thyroiditis: Types, Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment.' Cleveland Clinic, my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/15455-thyroiditis.
- 4. 'Thyroid Disease.' Womenshealth.gov, 1 Apr. 2019, www.womenshealth.gov/a-z-topics/thyroid-disease.
- 5. 'Hashimoto's Disease.' Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 11 Feb. 2020, www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hashimotos-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20351855.
- 6. Staff, Familydoctor.org Editorial. 'Thyroiditis - Symptoms and Treatment.' Familydoctor.org, 15 Oct. 2019, familydoctor.org/condition/thyroiditis/.
2. Thyroiditis Causes
In some cases, thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease, where the body produces antibodies that attack the thyroid, resulting in inflammation. The reason this occurs is unknown, although autoimmune diseases often run in families.2‘Thyroiditis.’ American Thyroid Association, www.thyroid.org/thyroiditis/. Women are five times more prone to developing thyroid disease than men.4‘Thyroid Disease.’ Womenshealth.gov, 1 Apr. 2019, www.womenshealth.gov/a-z-topics/thyroid-disease.
A viral or bacterial infection may cause the thyroid gland to become inflamed. Thyroiditis may also develop when the thyroid is damaged by radiation and medications such as interferon, lithium and amiodarone.2‘Thyroiditis.’ American Thyroid Association, www.thyroid.org/thyroiditis/.